Monday, May 4, 2009



Souper Cinco !!!!


Here is a soup that is a real Fiesta in yo Face!!

I was home last night trying to think of what to make for dinner, when my good friend ALC dropped by with some vino and a good load of gossip. So obviously my plans of hitting the grocery store flew out the window with my second glass of FishEye Merlot. What to do?? If I didn't start cooking Mark and I would have no lunch for the next day. So I "Top Chef"ed it. This is what we say when the challenge is to only use what is on hand to make a delicious meal. Luckily mark had made enchilada's about a week earlier so there were plenty of things laying around that needed to be used or chucked. So here goes....

2 Cans Chicken broth (always have at least 4 in the pantry for these occasions)
1 white onion
1/2 empty can of kidney beans (large can was used as the side for enchiladas)
Cilantro
1 can corn nibblets
1/2 Zucchini and Yellow squash (left over from grill night)
Cumin
5 cloves of Garlic (you know I loves me some garlic)
Leftover jar of Green chili enchilada sauce
The rest of the salsa (Hey, you know you'll buy more)
2 Limes ( from the Negra Modelo)
2 Chicken breasts,
Buy in bulk and freeze, You'll save a ton and always have some on hand!

Add the first 9 ingredients to your favorite soup pot and simmer for an hour or so when all your ingredients are simmering dice your chicken breasts and cook them to medium rare in a skillet with a little lime juice salt and pepper. Transfer the chicken to the soup pot when its still a little pink so that it doesn't dry out while the soup simmers. Squeeze in some lime to taste.

Ok, here's where it gets weird....
After a few taste tests I thought that the flavors were good but the consistency was to thin. This tasted like enchilada soup but didn't feel like it. So, I went back to the pantry to see what to to. There was flour ( which can clump) and baking soda( which can muddle flavors) Tortillas (to thick) or tortilla chips (too salty). So whats a girl to do? And then I saw it! A bag of Yukon gold three cheese flavored dehydrated potatoes! I could add as little or as much as I wanted.

I added the whole bag! And it turned out delicious! And even better the next day.

So Happy Cinco de Mayo! I hope you enjoy this Festive Mexican treat!!

No comments:

Post a Comment